Monday, February 16, 2009

Bacon, Garlic & Soy sauce was the start....

A couple of things while I write this first post. One, had I known I was going to get an invite to this blog I would have taken a picture of this dish. Two, I really am not a recipe person. I am more of a do it as you go along type of cook but here goes.

This past weekend, I had some friends in town from Hawaii. We were hanging and talking food when one of my friends said "You have to try spaghetti with bacon, garlic & soy sauce, I had it at a fusion place in Hawaii & loved it." I was told that my challenge was to make this but tweak it a little. We went shopping for dinner and this is what I bought & made. I have to say, the soy sauce element is great with the pasta and the final results went over great at the dinner we all had.

Ingredients (approximated)
-----------------------------
1 box #12 spaghetti
8 oz boar's head bacon
5 cloves garlic thinly sliced (like in Goodfellas)
1 pkg trio of mushrooms
1 container grape tomatoes
1 pkg fresh oregano
extra virgin olive oil
Jane's Crazy Salt & Pepper

Preparation
-------------
1. Cook pasta al dente in boiling salted water (try to time this with the preparation of the dish).
2. Cook bacon til crispy in sauté pan, leaving some bacon grease in pan. Once bacon is cooked, remove.
3. Add garlic and sauté until golden brown in bacon fat, remove.
4. Add mushrooms & sauté until cooked.
5. Season to taste.
6. Once mushrooms are cooked, add back in bacon (in smaller pieces) & garlic. Also add the grape tomatoes sliced in half and cook, reduce for approximately 5 minutes over medium heat.
7. Once tomatoes start to cook a little, turn flame off, add fresh oregano, cover and let all of the flavors meld together for around 5 minutes.
8. Add mushrooms, garlic, tomato mixture to cooked pasta, add a few shakes of soy, enough to flavor without overpowering. Mix well, cover pot and let stand another 5 minutes.

Serve & enjoy. It really works well with all of the ingredients adding their own unique flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment